The first Sunday service of what would later be named Dennistoun Baptist Church was in the Temperance Hall, Stockwell Street, Glasgow on Sunday 22nd June, 1851. It was originally constituted as Trades Hall Baptist Church on Sunday 24th August with 62 members. The church moved from Glasgow City Centre to Dennistoun in 1908 and officially moved into a newly constructed church building on Meadowpark Street in 1909.
Dennistoun Baptist Church grew to a membership of 520 in 1935, the highest in its history. However in the 1950s in line with many other UK city churches, they began to see a steady decrease in numbers; from 405 in 1953 to only a handful by 2015. One of the most important reasons for this decline was a significant population movement from Glasgow into the surrounding new towns.
With the church continuing to get smaller the decision was made to sell its premises in 2000 and move into its current location on Finlay Drive in 2001. The original members look back with thankfulness at how God blessed the congregation in different ways. At the same time they are fully aware of some difficult seasons over the years. In 1951 J.L. Walker wrote the centenary history of the church and gave it the unusual title, "Ill that He blesses" - God's goodness will rise out of our hardships. This is a helpful insight into the history of this church.
We are reminded at this point that the Church should always be about ordinary people worshipping an extraordinary God in the strength of His grace. In October 2015 God opened the door for a small team from Calderwood Baptist Church in East Kilbride, led by Rev Mark Morris to replant Dennistoun Baptist. Over the last few years we have seen God reverse this steady decline and into exciting new growth. We look forward to all that God is going to do in the future within Dennistoun and beyond as we are faithful to His call to love.